NAME: W. George Hardy
YEARS ACTIVE: 1922-1926 (coach)
Coached the Golden Bears hockey team from 1922 to 1926.
President of the Alberta and Canadian Amateur Hockey Associations
President of the International Ice Hockey Association and IIHF
Of the many outstanding individuals to teach and provide academic leadership at the University of Alberta, Dr. W. George Hardy stands out as a true renaissance man who was both a sports visionary and classic scholar.
The native of Peniel, Ont. coached Golden Bears hockey from 1922 to 1926 and was instrumental in advocating for the building of the university’s first on-campus, covered hockey area, which opened in 1927. His university hockey legacy lives on, as the Canada West men’s hockey champions receive the W.G. Hardy Trophy annually.
From 1920 to 1964 he worked in the university’s classic department, serving the latter 26 years as department head.
Hardy was president of the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association (1931-1933) and the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association (1938-1940), helping to establish new playoff systems for the Allan Cup and Memorial Cup. He then served as president of the International Ice Hockey Association from 1940 to 1947 and was involved in the formation of the International Ice Hockey Federation, of which he was president from 1948 to 1951.
Away from the rink, Hardy served three tenures as president of the Canadian Authors Association. He published several novels, with subjects including biblical and Roman history, as well as World War II.
In 1979, Hardy received the highest honour the country bestows upon citizens, when he was inducted into the Order of Canada. He is a member of the University of Alberta Wall of Fame (class of 1987) and the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame (1989).
Hardy passed away in 1979 at age 84.
His legacy lives on, as the Canada West men's hockey champions receive the Dr. W. G. Hardy Trophy annually.